The Hector P. Garcia Committee solicits applications from UTMB students for the Hector P. Garcia, M.D.,
Cultural Competence Award.
The award celebrates Dr. Garcia, a distinguished School of Medicine Class of 1940 alumnus and civil rights champion,
and recognizes a student who demonstrates commitment to providing quality health care to all by
incorporating cultural knowledge and skills in his or her service to others.
All full-time UTMB students are eligible to submit essays for the award. Learn more about Dr. Garcia at http://www.utmb.edu/drgarcia/.
Submit all materials no later than September 7, via the Email Essay Here button below.
All applicants must:
- be in good academic standing
- have demonstrated commitment to personal and professional development of cultural competency skills
- have demonstrated leadership and service in cross-cultural activities
- be enrolled as a full-time UTMB student
- submit a written essay (1,500 words or less)
Students must submit the following materials to be considered for the Hector P. Garcia, M.D., Cultural Competence Award:
- A cover letter declaring the student's interest in being considered for the award and providing information on the student's leadership and service in cross-cultural activities.
- An essay expressing the student's understanding of cultural competence as it relates to his or her ability to work with, conduct research with, or treat people from diverse cultures.
Students may write about their personal experiences and how their understanding, attitudes and skills in relation to cross-cultural issues have evolved. Essays should be typed double-spaced
with 1.5" margins and be 1,500 words or less.
- Applicants should not include their names on their essays, only on the cover letter. Essay submissions will be evaluated in a "blind review" process.
Essays will be judged by members of the Hector P. Garcia Committee.
The judges will evaluate the writer's personal understanding of cultural competence
and how he or she applies it in the delivery of quality health care.
For more information about the award or diversity programs at UTMB, contact
the Office of Diversity and Equity at (409) 747-2342 or email@example.com.