Hiring Process for UTMB School of Nursing Graduates
The institution hires a select number of graduates from each UTMB School of Nursing class. Graduates are hired into open Nursing Clinician I positions following the Spring, Summer and Fall commencements.
The number of new hires is based on clinical needs and varies with each graduating class.
All new hires are automatically enrolled in the UTMB Nurse Residency Program. The program lasts 12 months and is offered three times a year starting in June, September and February.
It provides nurse residents with the resources and support needed to transition into independent practice.
Active participation in the program is a condition of continued employment. Nurse residents must also agree to work for Nursing Service for a minimum of one year following completion of the program.
Please be advised that UTMB does not have a defined application period for entry into the Nurse Residency Program. All new hires will start the program when the next cohort kicks off.
The minimum qualifications for a Nurse Clinician I position at UTMB and enrollment in the residency program are: completion of an accredited basic nursing education program, GN/RN with current license or valid permit to practice professional nursing in Texas and current basic life support (BLS) certification.
Nurse residents are considered full-time employees and are eligible to receive the following benefits:
- Education and longevity pay
- Comprehensive medical, disability and life insurance options
- Free employee medical insurance
- State retirement program with employer contributions
- Paid time off for vacation, sick and holiday leave
- Shared leadership structure to foster a culture of collaboration, trust and respect
- Flexible scheduling to fit the needs of the nurses and department
- Career advancement through our defined clinical ladder
- Lifelong learning and continued nursing education opportunities
- Magnet Recognition® by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
See Benefits Services
for more information.
How to Apply
Follow these steps to apply for an open Nurse Clinician I position at UTMB:
- Go to http://utmb.jobs/ and search for Nurse Clinician I positions.
- Each job posting will include the hiring department and location for your reference.
- To view the job description for a particular position, click on the job title.
- To apply for a position, click on the Apply Now button and create an application profile.
- Enter the requested information and upload your resume.
- Applications and resumes will be reviewed by Recruitment Services and hiring managers.
- Selected applicants will be contacted directly for pre-screening and department interviews.
- Please note that the UTMB Nurse Residency Program is extremely competitive, so not all applicants will receive a department interview.
- Once a position is filled, an auto-generated email will be sent to all those who applied.
For more detailed instructions on how to apply for a position, click here.