Employee Performance Management
UTMB’s performance management program is essential for the continued growth and development of our workforce, and it enables employees and managers to:
- Actively participate in the entire performance review process
- Collaborate on performance goals and outcomes that align with UTMB’s mission
- Focus on behaviors and actions that have a direct impact on institutional results
- Monitor and document performance throughout the review period
- Recognize achievements and identify opportunities for improvement
Performance Evaluation Process
The performance evaluation process includes setting employee goals, providing continual feedback, documenting performance and evaluating results.
An effective evaluation process establishes clear performance goals and behavior expectations; clarifies responsibilities and provides direction on departmental priorities; identifies individual strengths and weaknesses; and provides a direct link between performance and pay.
In accordance with IHOP Policy 3.1.4, all faculty and staff members must be formally evaluated at least once annually.
The institutional deadline for completing evaluations each year is Oct. 31, and the review process consists of three phases:
- Managers create performance review documents in the ePerformance system
- Employees and managers work together to develop individualized key performance goals that are aligned with UTMB's mission and overall business strategy
- Employees and managers review and discuss core technical competencies and institutional values
- Managers monitor employee performance, track progress against established goals and provide ongoing feedback and coaching
- Employees and managers document achievements and observed behaviors using the Performance Notes feature in ePerformance
- Employees complete self-evaluation (if required)
- Managers establish a development or improvement plan for each employee
- Managers complete performance review documents and submit for second-level approval (if applicable)
- Managers conduct face-to-face meetings with employees to discuss evaluations, action plans and final performance ratings
As state employees, all new hires are subject to a six-month probationary period and a performance review at the conclusion of that period. Evaluations must be completed in the ePerformance system.
A three-month evaluation is recommended for employees who transfer or are promoted into a new position within UTMB. These type of evaluations should be completed in the ePerformance system.
Performance Evaluation Tools and Training
Available Tools and Resources
Conducting Meaningful Performance Evaluations
Training on Conducting Meaningful Performance Evaluations
Performance Management: Developing SMART Goals
My Road Ahead: Program Overview
My Road Ahead: Employee Development Planning Process
Development Planning: A Guide for Employee Development
Development Planning Self-Assessment
Individual Development Planning Template
To assist with the FY19 performance review cycle, Human Resources is offering training on UTMB’s performance management program. All employees and managers are encouraged to attend one of these training sessions to learn more about each phase of the annual evaluation process and how to effectively document, track and measure performance. No registration is required to attend.
Angleton Danbury Campus
• Wednesday, July 24, from 12–1 p.m. in the Angleton Danbury Campus Hospital, ADC Classroom
• Tuesday, July 30, from 12–1 p.m. in the Angleton Danbury Campus Hospital, ADC Classroom
Clear Lake Campus
• Thursday, July 25, from 12–1 p.m. in the Clear Lake Campus Hospital, Education Room 2.254
• Wednesday, July 31, from 12–1 p.m. in the Clear Lake Campus Hospital, Education Room 2.254
• Tuesday, July 16, from 12–1 p.m. in the Levin Hall South Auditorium, Room 2.222
• Tuesday, July 23, from 12–1 p.m. in the Levin Hall North Auditorium, Room 2.220
• Wednesday, July 24, from 12–1 p.m. in the Levin Hall North Auditorium, Room 2.220
League City Campus
• Wednesday, July 17, from 12–1 p.m. in the League City Campus Hospital, Resident Room 3.416
• Tuesday, July 23, from 12–1 p.m. in the League City Campus Hospital, Resident Room 3.416
Please note that training for Correctional Managed Care will be handled separately. CMC employees and managers should contact their local HR Office for assistance.
ePerformance System Training
Instructor-led training is available for managers who are new to ePerformance or would like a reminder on how to create and maintain performance review documents. Click here to view the IS Training calendar. Please be advised that you must use Google Chrome to access the calendar.
Online Training Simulations
These interactive tutorials will help all users to navigate the ePerformance system by simulating the screens and fields found in the evaluation tool.
ePerformance Quick Guides and Training
ePerformance Quick Guide for Employees
ePerformance Quick Guide for Managers
ePerformance Champions Training